Among our staff, one group plays a unique role: our Craft Care Specialists. These are people from diverse backgrounds, often teachers, artists or veterans themselves, who have dedicated themselves to helping our veterans directly with their therapeutic crafts. They work in our Community-Based Arts and Crafts Centers (CBCs) or sometimes in designated medical facilities, providing hands-on help with craft kits and coordinating the work of volunteers.
We created the Craft Care Specialists Program in 1994 to meet the needs of veterans in hospital settings, supplementing the hospital staff and making sure that all the vets had access to arts and crafts therapy. Since then, they’ve become an integral part of our work and the success of our CBCs.
Sometimes, a veteran’s very first experience of the arts comes through their connection with one of our Craft Care Specialists. Think this could be the path for you? See if our Program Objectives speak to you, and if they do, reach out to us to talk about future opportunities for you to join us.
What Does a Craft Care Specialist Do?
- Reach as many veterans as possible who would likely benefit from craft therapy.
- Involve arts and crafts activity in overall treatment plans for veterans.
- Facilitate social interaction by teaching new skills.
- Provide opportunities for veterans to creatively express themselves.
- Instill an appreciation for the arts.
- Promote involvement in arts, independent of treatment.
- Increase awareness of our programs.
- Increase awareness of our CCS positions.
- Increase volunteer hours.
- Increase public awareness of the important role of veterans in all our lives.
Interested in becoming a Craft Care Specialist?
Fill out the form below and one of our team members will get back to you.
Become a Volunteer
Start as a Crafting Volunteer
If you live near one of our community-based arts and crafts centers, we welcome you to ask about volunteering with us. We’re always seeking compassionate people with a background in (or just a knack for!) arts and crafts of all types. Not local? There are still ways to participate in our work!